Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Literacies in the Classroom

What literacies do my students need to be successful?
- I believe the idea is that the students need ALL of the literacies/skills to be successful

What do I need to do to support the learning of these literacies?
- provide students with opportunities to play with new programs/activities before having to perform a certain task 
- use technology to simulate an experience, such as a 3D computer model of the respiratory system (beats buying a cow's lung to dissect/analyze with the class)
- although my students want the opportunity to multitask by listening to music via their headphones during class, I'm just not sure how I feel about this...need to know that they are listening and on-task
- continue to assign group work to students that will ensure that everyone in the group is accountable and has a say (distributed cognition)
- teach the skills how to determine what information is accurate/reliable on the internet (look at information/advertisements with a critical eye)
- use technology in a way that allows students to work together and build upon each other's ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment